In light of the financial conditions of the Presbytery of the Cascades and in response to the directions of Presbytery Council through the work of the Special Council Committee on Budget Priorities and Direction, the P&A Committee established a Staffing Review Subcommittee. This subcommittee met over several months and reviewed the financial situation of the presbytery as well as the staffing structure of the presbytery. The key focus of their work was to discern how Cascades Presbytery can be best staffed in order to enhance the vitality and growth of our local congregations. The report of this subcommittee was presented to the full P&A Committee which approved the following recommendations:
1. Initiate staff reductions to be effective January 1, 2012.
a. Reduce Bookkeeper position from 35 to 20 hours per week (slightly less than 50% reduction)
b. Reduce Media Resource Center Director position from 16 to 8 hours per week (50% reduction)
c. Reduce Camp Coordinator position from 35 to 20 hours per week (slightly less than 50% reduction)
d. Reduce Restoring Creation Enabler position from 8 to 4 hours per week (50% reduction)
e. Reduce Administrative Assistant positions (4) and Business Manager position from 35 to 28 hours per week (20% reduction)
f. Reduce Co-Executive positions (3) from 50 to 40 hours per week (20% reduction)
2. Provide medical/pension benefits for employees working 20 or more hours per week.
3. Close the presbytery offices one specific day a week.
4. Review and revise all position descriptions to reduce responsibilities in accordance with reduced hours. [This will be done as annual performance reviews are conducted through the next six months.]
5. Revise Personnel Policies to implement #2 and #3 above. [This was accomplished at the Presbytery Council meeting on May 21, 2011.]
6. Finalize the following time-line for implementation of recommendations.
Decision on recommendations made – appointed and program staff changes approved by P&A; elected staff recommendations on time and dollars to be sent to November presbytery meeting.
Employment Policies & Procedures changes to be approved. [Done]
P&A liaisons and supervisors meet with staff. Program staff meetings include chair of program support committee. [Done]
Preliminary 2012 budget numbers determined for budget consultation. [Done]
P&A reports on changes.
2012 personnel staffing budget allocated.
Establish Compensation Sub-Committee which will report back at October P&A meeting.
Action on changes in terms of call for elected staff.